Of all things today, a recipe.
Eggs At Eleven
– An ideal breakfast for a day off –
Ingredients: Butter, milk, mushrooms, eggs, ham, bread for toast.
Time: About 15 minutes.
Serves: One to two.
- Take a small saucepan and gently melt a largish knob of butter.
- Add milk to cover bottom to about 1cm (½”) and, stirring all the while, bring to a slow simmer.
- Throw in a little pepper and salt if you want.
- Break up and drop in about five or six mushrooms.
- Simmer mushrooms in the milk for a few minutes, being sure not to let it boil.
- Chop four or five slices of ham up small and stir in.
- Gently break in two or three eggs, without bursting the yolks if you can.
- Now would be a good time to put your toast on.
- When the white has mostly turned white, turn the heat down very low and stir in the egg yolks.
- Continue to cook, stirring very frequently, until the egg looks almost done.
- Take off heat and stir some more, eggs will continue to set.
- Butter toast and cut into bite-size pieces. Put on plate.
- Dump the good stuff on top.
- Pour some water in the pan. You won’t regret that later.
- Serve, preferably in bed, preferably to someone you like.